My ability to induce chaos surprises me sometimes. It doesn't choose to rear it's ugly head very often, but when it does: duck and cover.
Today that warning proved to be literal. I was on the 10 a.m. paper run (with it being finals week a whole new schedule had to be made) and was on my last trip to the paper closet. The run at 8 hadn't been done and I went through a ton of paper as a result. I had three boxes stacked on top of the the paper cart, and was trying to maneuver my way through the maze of chair and studying students.
I tapped the edge of a table. Just tapped it. And the tempered glass covering the top of said table exploded. I mean literally. Glass shards went FLYING, accompanied by a noise that could be heard on the entire floor. It was something out of a movie. Or Mythbusters. It flew several feet it every direction, leaving me and my cart at the epicenter.
A bunch of things ran through my head in the moments immediately following. No one was gushing blood (which was a nice break) and I removed my earphones, put away my MP3 player and muttered perhaps the most obvious thing I could have: "Well this isn't good."
I headed down to the circulation desk, told them what happened, and then went to the main office to chat with my boss's boss. Then it was back up to the second floor to make sure no one did something stupid like try to pick up the glass. Then it was back to the office to clean up the cart and make sure I wasn't sporting glass anywhere.
I can't do anything halfway. It's all or nothing. Things like this don't happen on a regular basis, but when they do, the results are spectacular. And there is no way anyone could have controlled it.
Exhibit A) I got stuck in the elevator randomly. At the 5th floor. I was only stuck for 5 to 10 minutes, and I have no idea how my boss fixed it. But I do know that the elevator was down for the next week, sporting bright orange caution cones on every floor.
Exhibit B) I used to work as an Albertson's courtesy clerk. One day I was bringing in a convoy (7 or more grocery carts) and missed the opening of the automatic door. Hit the hinges instead. And knocked the door off.
Exhibit C) I fell off my fort in the fourth grade. Wound up with stitches in the back of my head.
Such a wonderful existence I lead. Between the klutziness and the accident prone-ness, I'm surprised I've made it this far.
Monday, December 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
A) that sucks that the paper run didn't get done at 8. lame.
B) i hadn't heard about your accident but it sounds like it must have been very exciting. good luck on the math final.
Post a Comment