Wednesday, June 3, 2009

New Laptop= Happy Dance

So I'm super excited, but kinda sad too...
Yes, I am conflicted.
After three years of loyal service, my old laptop finally went to the great computer warehouse in the sky. Granted, this last year has been a bit rocky, what with it contracting a virus and all, but we've made some fond memories. And my entire career as a writer was on that thing (Uncle Stacy is able to rescue my stuff, so I won't have to start over completely).
It happened last Saturday. We took it to my uncle last Tuesday. He worked with it, but yesterday declared the hardware to be obsolete. It was probably at least 6 years old (which is ancient for a computer apparently, never mind that there are hamsters that live longer. Not that I'm bitter or anything), I guess it's a miracle that it lasted as long as it did.
Yesterday evening dad and I broke out the Best Buy and Office Depot sales papers. And we found a decent looking hp for a reasonable price. And Best Buy was doing a 18 months no interest thing, so instead of paying in one big chunk, I can pay in installments.
So we went to Best Buy today and found the computer. We gave Uncle Stacy a call and he gave it his stamp of approval (which is important when making a technological purchase, seeing as he's far more tech savvy than my entire nuclear family combined).
I charged the thing and loaded up the virus software and Microsoft Office.
I'm amazed at how fast this thing is. It's 3 gigs, which probably isn't as fast as it could go, but it's three times faster than my old laptop (yes, I survived for 3 years with a computer that had 1 gig) and it kinda blows my mind.
Plus it's very pretty. All black and sliver and shiny. The keyboard is comfortable for me to type on (which will be one of the primary uses of this thing), though my fingers keep sliding off the keys cuz they're a little sleek.
And he has a name (it's a boy. My car is a girl, laptop and flashdrive are boys. My external hard drive doesn't have a gender). I debated names for awhile before finally settling on Alec. After my favorite season two character of Dark Angel. And before you can ask, I would still like the character even if Jensen Ackles didn't play him. Though that's definitely a plus. My flashdrive's name is Hezekiah. The external hard drive is called "The Writer's Tomb."
Yeah, I'm aware of my level of pathetic-ness. For the record, I don't name everything. My car doesn't have a name. My cornets (personal and school) did, and so do my journals. Other than those things, my laptop and flashdrive are the only things with names.
I think I over-analyzed/ revealed too much again.
*Headdesk*

No comments: